Cleaning sippy cups is a necessary step in preventing babies from contracting diseases. In order to kill any bacteria or germs that may be lingering on the cups, many parents opt to sterilise their sippy cups. There are several ways to do this, but the most common methods are boiling, using a steriliser, or using bleach.
Cleaning Sippy Cups Safely and EffectivelySippy cups need to be cleaned and sterilised regularly in order to prevent the growth of bacteria and mould. Cleaning them effectively can be a challenge, but there are several safe and effective ways to do so. Disposable sippy cups are not the best option for the environment or your wallet, so try one of these methods to clean your child's sippy cups safely and effectively.
How To Properly Sterilise Sippy Cups
Traditional Sterilising With Boiling WaterWhen you get a new glass baby bottle or sippy cup, it is important to sterilise it before the first use. You can do this by boiling them in water for 5 minutes, or using an electric steamer, microwave steam sterilises, or sterilising solution. It is also important to boil glass bottles and cups before each use to prevent any infections.
To sterilise sippy cups, the parts must be boiled in water. This will kill any germs that may be present on the surface. Be sure not to remove the parts with your bare hands, and check them after 10 minutes to make sure they are properly sterilised.
Use a Microwave SteriliseThere are two types of microwave sterilisers- reusable plastic sterilise and limited use microwave bags. Both work by using the power of your microwave and steam to get rid of any harmful substances lurking in small places.
If you're not sure if you have a plastic reusable sterilise or not, check in your cupboards- if you have a bottle warmer, you probably have a reusable one.
If you don't have the plastic version handy, or you'd like something that takes up a bit less space and can travel, try the microwave bags. These are available at any shopping mall easily.
Wash Your Sippy Cup in Soap & WaterIt is important to wash your sippy cup with soap and water on a regular basis in order to prevent the growth of mould. Sippy cups can also be cleaned in a dishwasher or by washing them with mild soap in the sink.
Cleaning instructions for each part of the sippy cup are provided (for example, nipple holes, valve, rings, caps).
It is important to keep your sippy cup clean by washing it in soap and water after each use. Rinse the cup well and allow it to air-dry. You can also wash the sippy cup every few days by hand with soap and warm water.
If the sippy cup is dishwasher-safe, you can also put it in a dishwasher with hot water and a heated drying cycle.
Can I Stop Sterilising Bottles at 6 Months?
Around the age of six months, most babies are ready to transition from bottles to sippy cups. This is a gradual process that should be overseen by a paediatrician.
There are some important physical milestones your baby needs to meet before making the switch, such as being able to hold their head up on their own and having good hand-eye coordination.
If your baby is not quite ready at six months, you can wait until they reach an appropriate developmental milestone before making the switch.
Sippy cups come with a valve that can trap particles of milk or juice and harbour harmful moisture, creating a perfect place for mould to grow.
Why Mould Grows In Sippy Cups?
The most common place you will find mould on a sippy cup is in the spout, valve, or straw since they are the most difficult areas to clean thoroughly.
Mould is a fungus that grows from tiny, microscopic spores and can be problematic when it grows. If you notice any black, green, or white patches on your sippy cup-especially if it smells musty-it is best to discard the cup immediately.
Mould grows in sippy cups because of the combination of moisture and food. If left uncleaned, these cups can become a breeding ground for mould.
Mould spores can cause an illness if ingested, so it is important to keep your child safe by seeking medical attention if they experience any symptoms after drinking from a mouldy cup.
How Often Should I Clean and Sanitize The Sippy Cups?Mould can be a common issue with sippy cups, so it is important to check them for mould on a daily basis. Additionally, you should wash and sanitise your child's sippy cups on a daily basis. This will help keep them clean and free of any harmful bacteria or mould.
Parents often wonder how often they should clean and sanitise their child's sippy cups. The answer, unfortunately, is that it depends on the type of cup.
If the sippy cup is not dishwasher safe, then it must be boiled in order to achieve sterile conditions.
However, if the manufacturer's instructions state that the cup can be washed in a dishwasher, then parents can follow those instructions.
In either case, it is important to read the instructions before cleaning or sterilising a sippy cup in order to avoid damaging the product.
Can I Wash and Sanitize Sippy Cups in the Dishwasher?Sippy cups can be washed and sanitised in a dishwasher. They can also be boiled or sterilised in steriliser machines. Sippy cups should be washed and sanitised at least once a week.
In general, most popular brands of sippy cups are dishwasher safe. However, it is always a good idea to check the specific instructions for the brand of sippy cup you are using before putting them in the dishwasher.
This is because some brands may have different recommendations or limitations on how they can be washed and sanitised.
ConclusionSo if your child is under 6 months old, then you should keep on sterilising the sippy cup. And you probably clean and wash it after and before every usage.
Please tell us what method of sterilising sippy cups you liked the most? Was it soap and water? Steriliser machine or something else?